Life here on d'nile is certainly lovely, don't you think?
Uhgh, so I thought I was in the home stretch on my garment for Donna's book. I was just picking up the stitches around the neck and front, and counting to make sure the piece had the same number of stitches on both sides.
The signs were there all along. It should have seemed odd that I had trouble picking up the same number of stitches on both armscyes. And it probably should have piqued my interest that I was having a little trouble blocking the fronts evenly. But apparently, I can be pretty resistant to the signs of reality.
You see those two stitch markers? They should both be the same distance from their respective shoulder seams.
The piece is knit seamlessly, which means that the sleeves are picked up and knit down from the armscyes. So in order to rip out the extra rows on the front section, I first thought I'd have to rip the entire *sob* sleeve out.
But I gave myself a few minutes to think, and realized there is another option.
I decided to cut the sleeve off, just under the sleeve cap, and rip only the sleeve cap out. Once the front is fixed and a new sleeve cap knit, I'll graft the two parts together again.
I'm using a yarn with a fairly high wool content, and it tends to felt, every so slightly, to itself. I knew that unraveling would require some tussling and I didn't want to drop stitches on the sleeve, so I inserted a smaller gauge needle into the row of stitches that would remain live on the sleeve.
I made a small noodly prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and snipped.
No turning back now.
Now it's just a matter of unraveling along the sleeve cap side.
If you missed a stitch, just grab one of those locking stitch markers, and clip it on. In my case, didn't pick up stitches on the spare needle, in a straight line. I was offset by a row for a few inches. Once I realized, I secured the loose stitch, eased out the needle and re-thread it through the correct stitches.
The sleeve will be secured on the needle, when you are done, and you can unravel the remaining sleeve cap and reuse the yarn.
Oooh, I'm halfway there.
I'll let you know how the reknitting and grafting go.
And on that note, I need a pup fix.